How can I use SolarFarmer for visualization?

SolarFarmer is great for visualizations. After laying out a site with trackers or fixed-tilt racks, use the export layout wizard to create either KMZ, shape files, or PVsyst project archive for select subset of sites. Exported KMZ opens in Google Earth automatically, then you can pan and zoom to get different angles to see your site. Here’s an example of the Kamogawa Mirai solar power plant in the mountains of Japan.

3 Likes

This visualisation is great. Just wondering are they trackers or fixed tilt racks? Also do we have a tutorial on how to create such visualisation?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi,

Glad you like the visualisation and thank you for contributing to the forum! In that image they are fixed-tilt racks, and it is viewed in Google Earth.

To do this for yourself in SolarFarmer see the Exporting a Site Layout part of the documentation.

Basically:

• In SolarFarmer, go to the ‘Layout > Design layout’ task screen
  • Click on the ‘Export…’ button in the ‘Site layouts’ panel at the bottom left of the screen
  • Choose a KMZ file path and click on the ‘Export to KMZ’ button

It will export the current site layout to a KMZ file and open it in Google Earth. So you can see the visualisation for your site in Google Earth.

I hope that helps!

1 Like

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your kind reply. I’ve followed your instruction and got this visualization in Google Earth. It’s a tracker system and as you can see the modules are lying flat. I’m wondering is it possible to get a visualisation for tracker system that the modules are inclined instead of lying flat?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Great visualisation! A very large site.

Currently the export to Google Earth functionality sets all the trackers as horizontal. Just because that seemed a sensible default to choose.

If useful, in future we could add the export functionality to the Review Trackers task too, so that you can select a date and time and see what the tracker rotations will be at that time (if you have multiple layout regions with different GCRs the tracker rotations may be different in different layout regions), then choose to export the rotated trackers. Something we could consider adding in future.

1 Like

Thanks Mike! Indeed a very large site.
Would be great if we could export the rotated trackers in the Review Trackers task. This would make SolarFarmer a great tool for preliminary design layout visualisation, especially when complex terrain is involved.

2 Likes

Ok. I’ll see if we can get this done in the next release.

1 Like

Thanks Mike! Fingers crossed :grinning:

2 Likes